Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Good-bye Rochelle

I just received an email that my friend Rochelle died last week from a long battle with cancer. Rochelle and I went through the same career counseling program. She went a number of years after me, but we met, and became friends.

Last year she attended my Retirement Life Matters Workshop. She liked the work and decided to join me. While she was never very healthy, she was able to be my muse. I looked forward to our monthly luncheons where we would bat ideas around. She had amazing insight. It was through her support and effort that I was able to complete the 7 Ingredients for a Satisfying Retirement.

We were on the program committee for the last International Career Development Conference, held in November. At the last minute, she decided she wasn’t well enough to attend. I have a plaque I was going to give her in appreciation for the work she’d done on the committee.

The reason I’m sharing this with you is I want to honor Rochelle, her life and her fight with cancer. Not only am I sad that she is gone, but more disappointed that I haven’t seen her since last fall. We talked and tried to schedule a time to meet. Between being busy and her chemo, there was always a reason not to get together. Now she’s gone.

This is a reminder to all of us that no matter how active we are to take the time to connect with the important people in our lives.

Death is part of the cycle. Rochelle fought as valiantly as anyone I’ve ever known. I knew she was very ill, but I always figured I’d have another week where we could get together. That opportunity is now gone forever.

1 comment:

fatfighter said...

So sorry for your loss. And what a great point you make - it's so easy to get caught up in our lives but so important to connect with those we love when there's an opportunity or it could be gone forever.