Tuesday, August 18, 2009

French Cooking and Retirement Life


So, what do French cooking and retirement life have in common?
My husband and I went to see Julie and Julia last Friday night. This is the perfectly poached egg he presented me with on Saturday morning.
What does my husband share with Julia Child? They both value the concept of ‘mastery.’
My husband approaches French cooking with the same methodical precision he approaches building his plane. If it calls for a quart of whipping cream, then off to the store he goes for supplies.
He hurt his leg pushing carts at the grocery store on Saturday. We were both afraid he'd torn a tendon, so I wanted him to stay off his leg.
"I'll cook dinner, " I declared.
I was completely lost. I didn't know where to start. We ended up pulling some frozen crabcakes from the freezer. I totally tanked.
The good news. The delicious smells of French cooking permeate my house with Julia’s signature Boeuf Bourguignon simmering on the stove.
The leg is healing and he's back to cooking.

No comments: