Friday, September 12, 2008

More Insight

After I posted the blog yesterday, I had another insight of why I was feeling overwhelmed. I struggle at a lot of things, but personal insight isn't one of them.

I'm new to blogging. I started because I want to share my journey, connect to others, share the concepts of Retirment Life Matters, and realistically use it as a marketing tool. Blogging is just one small piece of the overall pie for me.

As I started reading other blogs, I was amazed by the content, both the quality and the frequency, the traffic, and the business aspect of it. The blogs I hold especially in esteem are
WomenBloom-I just met Allison, but she finds time to write about the hurricane that is coming. And then there is The Boomer Chronicles . She must have a 100 blogs on her blogroll. Of course, there are many more I've run across over the last three months, but my favorite is Fat Fighter TV. Not only does she add incredible content every day, she is very focused on her mission and finds time to comment on most of my entries.

There was a shift that occurred in me. Instead of using these other blogs as inspiration, I started using them as my standard. When my shifted my focus from my own intent to trying to be as good as them, I lost myself and became overwhelmed.

Once I realized what I was doing, I could shift back to my own internal compass. I want to share my own journey, the growth or RLM and hopefully spotlight boomers who are making a difference in the world. I'm going to stop being concerned about having to post every day and all the other things that were driving me crazy.

3 comments:

fatfighter said...

Thanks so much for the kind words. You made my day. :)
It is so easy to get overwhelmed in this blogging world - I still haven't found a good balance. Glad you cut out all the noise that was making you crazy!
Keep doing what you're doing - I always look forward to reading your thoughtful posts.

Caroline B. said...

I hear you and agree with you both! I think it's easy to get overwhelmed and begin to look at the similar things others might do as a way to measure and gauge our own success. It's a practice to be mindful of your own pace and activity. I so admire FatFighter for her dedication to her blog, and I really enjoy reading it. I admire your wonderful dedication too, Cathy! FatFighter was right: Keep doing what you're doing! We're here for you!

Coach Colette said...

Cathy, I'm impressed to see that you're staying true to your initial focus for your blog.

I received an inspirational email question the other day that intrigued me. It asked "Are you telling your story?" My initial answer was "yes;" but then I realized that it was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction b/c I often focus on helping OTHERS tell their stories as a coach/trainer.

Keep telling your story! People are listening! :)

Best, Colette
http://twitter.com/coach_colette