Monday, November 24, 2008

Update


Yes, we finally got the phone back. It was a simple switch that needed to be changed at the back of our house. OMG, I can't believe all that hassle. I guess the new world of technology is difficult for all of us, even those who work in it.

If someone asked me if I had a good life, I would have to say yes. I'm not one of those people who walk outside looking for a brick to fall on my head. But, this is getting uncanny. Our six year old tv died yesterday. Notice what I said-six years old! It's not like it's even on all of the time. As you can see it's huge.I'm not sure what I hate more, paying for a new tv or putting this one in a landfill somewhere.

The repairman said it was a blown color tube and they can' be replaced. My husband found some on e-bay, but the repairman said it would cost $500 to install each of the three tubes.

This is ridiculous. I'm really not taking it too personally-really, but doesn't it bother you that a television that is six years old died, can't be fixed and has to be thrown in the junk heap? This wasn't a cheap television. It just seems to me that something has to change. I'm not sure where or how, but something has to change.


1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Hi Cathy, oh I hear you. How can a 6-year old TV die? And cost more to fix than the original price itself, ugh! Sorry for your trouble!

The flip side is, you may not have to relegate the TV to a landfill. If you call your city's City Hall office or recycling program, they may have dates where they do appliance pick up for recycling (or can give you a date and location of a place you can take it). I live in Boston and several times a year they have that kind of collection, for TV and computer monitors, lamps, air conditioners and the like. In between those dates, you can call and schedule a pick up. I would definitely call in your area and see what can be done to better dispose of the TV.

Good Luck!