Thursday, July 17, 2008

Exercise for Your Brain

There’s been a lot of research in the news recently about the need to keep the mind stimulated and challenged to keep it healthy. Now, there is evidence that physical activity also is good for the brain. A review of research from the U.S., France and Sweden indicate exercise that increases the cardio-respiratory fitness also improves brain function. The increased blood flow to the brain stimulates the production neurotransmitters. Of interesting note, it doesn’t have to be sustained exercise. As little as 60 seconds at a time that gets the heart pumping can improve the brain's function.

5 comments:

Therapy in Transition said...

I definitely agree with this. Our brain is just another muscle so the more we exercise it the healthier it will be. I have noticed my parents doing this a lot lately. My father has begun reading novels - he never read more than a newspaper so this is a new 'exercise' for him. I will be interested in seeing what kind of changes are occuring for him.

Anonymous said...

My mom went and purchased a sudoku game when she read about keeping her mind active, keeps your mind alive. I hope she gets more exercise when I share this with her.

Caroline B. said...

My parents, who are 65 and 68, were relatively active when I was younger. But now that they're retired, they exercise every day! More than I do! Such a dramatic difference from what their parents (my grandparents) did, which I think was not a lot -- of exercise, I mean.

FarmgirlUnleashed said...

I have NO doubt this is true. I have much better days at work when I start it off at the Y or a good walk in the a.m. I just do not feel "on" when I skip!!!

fatfighter said...

Yay - another benefit of exercise! ;)