Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back from War



My son moved back home last week. He arrived in the states from Iraq in May and is now discharging from the Army. He was in the service for six and a half years.

Children moving back home is a hot topic among people nearing or in retirement. My husband and I always knew we wanted to him to move back home. It’s a tremendous transition to go from the military to being a civilian. I wanted him to know he had a soft place to land.

As we learn to live together, parents and adult child, I’ll write more.

For right now, I want to say thank you to my son who went war. I want to say thank you to all the other sons and daughters who have gone to war.

I had hoped that by this time in our evolution, humans would find a better way to resolve conflict. Maybe we never will.

Until we do, thank you to all those who do what needs to be done.

2 comments:

Caroline B. said...

I'm sure you're thrilled your son is home! What a tremendous service he has provided. Yes, thank him for me too. My boyfriend's son is only 19 and has been in Iraq since February with the Army National Guard. He just found out he'll be finished with his tour this coming February, and we can't wait to get him here!

fatfighter said...

I'm so glad he made it home safely. We have several friends who have been in Iraq and my brother-in-law may be deploying soon. Thanks to all of them for the sacrifices they make. And I'm with you in hoping for a better way to resolve conflict... maybe someday.